2005, University of Crete
- 1997: Biology B.Sc., Department of Biology, University of Crete.
- 2000: Paleontology M.Sc., Department of Geology, University of Athens. Dissertation Title: “Molecular Phylogeny of the Extinct Pleistocene Dwarf Elephant Palaeoloxodon antiquus falconeri from Tilos Island (Dodekanisa, Greece).”
- 2005: Biology Ph.D, Department of Biology, University of Crete. Dissertation Title: “Molecular phylogeny and biogeography of the wall-lizards Podarcis (Sauria: Lacertidae) in Greek area” (exact date of award: 27/01/2005).
- 2005-2006: Postdoctoral Associate in the Molecular Systematics Lab, Natural History Museum of the University of Crete.
- 2007-2009: Postdoctoral Associate in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology of Yale University.
- 2006-2007: Teaching Assistant (407/80) (equivalent to lecturer with tenure), Department of Biology, University of Crete (Sept. 2006 to Feb. 2007).
- 2009-2015: Assistant Professor in Biology Department, University of Crete
- 2015-present: Associate Professor in Biology Department, University of Crete
I am interested in retracing the evolutionary history of organisms. Much of my research focuses on molecular systematics, phylogeny, phylogeography, and population and conservation genetics of animal species inhabiting mainly the eastern Mediterranean region. The majority of my work is based on modern and/or ancient DNA analysis and I am in a continuous struggle to figure out the extreme diversity of these animals in a temporal and spatial frame. I am mainly question driven rather than organism bound. Thus, I have been working with a variety of invertebrate and vertebrate taxa, ranging from land snails, to isopods, frogs, lizards, birds and mammals.
- Psonis, N., Antoniou, A., Kukushkin, O., Jablonski, D., Petrov, B., Crnobrnja-Isailović, J., Sotiropoulos, K., Gherghel, I., Lymberakis, P. & Poulakakis, N. 2017. Hidden diversity in the Podarcis tauricus (Sauria, Lacertidae) species subgroup in the light of multilocus phylogeny and species delimitation. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 106, 6-17.
- Dimopoulou, A., Antoniou, A. Mylonas, M, Vardinoyiannis, K., Poulakakis, N. 2017 Inferring phylogenetic patterns of land snails of the genus Albinaria in the islet of Dia (Crete, Greece). Systematics and Biodiversity (in press).
- Skourtanioti, Ε., Kapli, P., Ilgaz, C., Kumlutaş, Y., Avcı, A., Ahmadzadeh, F., Crnobrnja – Isailović, J., Gherghel, I., Lymberakis, P. Poulakakis, N. 2016 A re-investigation of phylogeny and divergence times of the Ablepharus kitaibelii species complex (Sauria, Scincidae) based on mtDNA and nuDNA genes. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 103, 199-214.
- Gkontas, I., Papadaki, S., Trichas, A., Poulakakis, N. 2016 First assessment on the molecular phylogeny and phylogeography of the Gnaptortaxa distributed in Greece (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Mitochondrial DNA Part A 8,1-8.
- Psonis, N., Lymberakis, P., Poursanidis D., Poulakakis, N. 2016 Contribution to the study of Acanthodactylus (Sauria: Lacertidae) mtDNA diversity focusing on the A. boskianus species group. Mitochondrion, 30, 79-84.