2010, University of Basel
Transcription factors are important regulators of normal development and physiology, and changes in their functions or relative stoichiometries result in developmental defects and disease. Our lab is interested in understanding how transcription factors regulate developmental processes from a dynamic molecular perspective by inquiring their absolute concentrations, molecular diffusion, participation in kinetic interactions with chromatin, and cell-to-cell concentration variabilities. To do this, we use rigorous genetics tools, biochemistry, microscopy, and biophysical methodology with single-molecule sensitivity, such as Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy. Our overarching aim is to translate molecular numbers and movement into macroscopic developmental procedures and disease abnormalities.
1. Giri R, Brady S, Papadopoulos DK, Carthew RW. Single-cell Senseless protein analysis reveals metastable states during the transition to a sensory organ fate. iScience 2022;25:105097.
2. Auer JMT, Stoddart JJ, Christodoulou I, Lima A, Skouloudaki K, Hall HN, Vukojevic V, Papadopoulos DK* (*corresponding author). Of numbers and movement - understanding transcription factor pathogenesis by advanced microscopy. Dis Model Mech 2020;13(12):dmm046516.
3. Skouloudaki K, Papadopoulos DK, Hurd WT. The Molecular Network of YAP/Yorkie at the Cell Cortex and their Role in Ocular Morphogenesis. Int J Mol Sci 2020;21(22):8804.
4. Longman D, Jackson-Jones KA, Maslon MM, Murphy LC, Young RS, Stoddart JJ, Hug N, Taylor MS, Papadopoulos DK* (*senior co-author), Caceres JF. Identification of a localized nonsense-mediated decay pathway at the endoplasmic reticulum. Genes Dev 2020;34(15-16):1075-1088. [Featured the Cover of Genes & Development]
5. Giri R, Papadopoulos DK, Posadas DM, Potluri HK, Tomancak T, Mani M, Carthew RW. Ordered patterning of the sensory system is susceptible to stochastic features of gene expression. eLife 2020;9:e53638;doi: 10.7554/eLife.53638.
6. Krmpot AJ, Nicolic SN, Oasa, S, Papadopoulos DK, Vitali M, Oura M, Mikuni S, Thyberg P, Tisa S, Kinjo M, Nilsson L, Terenius L, Rigler R, Vukojević V. Functional Fluorescence Microscopy Imaging: Quantitative Scanning-Free Confocal Fluorescence Microscopy for the Characterization of Fast Dynamic Processes in Live Cells. Anal Chem 2019;91(17):11129-11137.
7. Skouloudaki K, Christodoulou I, Khalili D, Tsarouhas V, Samakovlis C, Tomancak P, Knust E, Papadopoulos DK* (*corresponding author). Yorkie controls tube length and apical barrier integrity during airway development. J Cell Biol 2019;218(8):2762-2781.
8. Papadopoulos DK* (*corresponding author), Tomancak T. Gene Regulation: Analog to Digital Conversion of Transcription Factor Gradients. Curr Biol 2019;29(11);R422-R424.
9. Papadopoulos DK* (*corresponding author), Skouloudaki K, Engström Y, Terenius L, Rigler R, Zechner C, Vukojević V, Tomancak P. Control of Hox transcription factor concentration and cell-to-cell variability by an auto-regulatory switch. Development 2019;146(12). [Most read paper of Development in 2019]
10. Skouloudaki K*, Papadopoulos DK* (*joint with KS), Tomancak P, Knust E. The apical protein Apnoia interacts with Crumbs to regulate tracheal growth and inflation. PLoS Genet 2019;15,1,p.e1007852.
11. Maharana S, Wang J*, Papadopoulos DK* (*joint with JW), Richter D, Pozniakovsky A, Poser I, Bickle M, Rizk S, Guillén-Boixet J, Franzmann TM, Jahnel M, Marrone L, Chang YT, Sterneckert J, Tomancak P, Hyman AA, Alberti S. RNA buffers the phase separation behavior of prion-like RNA binding proteins. Science 2018;360(6391);918-921.
12. Reynolds JJ, Bicknell LS, Carroll P, Higgs MR, Shaheen R, Murray JE, Papadopoulos DK, Leitch A, Murina O, TarnauskaitE Z, Wessel SR, Zlatanou A, Vernet A, von Kriegsheim A, Mottram RM, Logan CV, Bye H, Li Y, Brean A, Maddirevula S, Challis RC, Skouloudaki K, Almoisheer A, Alsaif HS, Amar A, Prescott NJ, Bober MB, Duker A, Faqeih E, Seidahmed MZ, Al Tala S, Alswaid A, Ahmed S, Al-Aama JY, Altmüller J, Al Balwi M, Brady AF, Chessa L, Cox H, Fischetto R, Heller R, Henderson BD, Hobson E, Nürnberg P, Percin EF, Peron A, Spaccini L, Quigley AJ, Thakur S, Wise CA, Yoon G, Alnemer M, Tomancak P, Yigit G, Taylor AM, Reijns MA, Simpson MA, Cortez D, Alkuraya FS, Mathew CG, Jackson AP, Stewart GS. Mutations in DONSON disrupt replication fork stability and cause microcephalic dwarfism. Nat Genet 2017;49(4):537-549.